Friday, October 12, 2007

Shabbat in the City

I have had a unique opportunity this Shabbat - to meet the congregation where the boy spent his recent 5 week absence. They are a close-knit, self-sufficient group, with a collective heart of gold. I was greeted with joy and excitement, mixed with a little kiwi reserve, with which I am rapidly remembering. Everyone sent him warm regards and wanted to know if he had made it back to the U.S. in one piece, etc.
I was taken to dinner last night by two members, which was really very nice. It was interesting to hear their experiences of the boy, and hear what i see and know so well reflected back.
This morning I was collected from my hotel and driven to schule where there was more of the same. One person said that he had "heard all about me" from a member of the Wellington congregation I know quite well, Lynda. It's a jolly small world.
The service was quite lovely, and I was brought back to a former Jewish incarnation with tunes I had forgotten I knew, and a familiar pace of prayer. Slower perhaps to what I am now used to, but one that had a feeling of everyone working together to achieve the service.
Afterwards I excused myself and strolled thru the shoppers in Newmarket, a bustling and busy part of the city that had a feel not unlike Sydney. More sticker shock, but the pleasant discovery of a place called Liberty, which seemed to had reasonably priced, stylish furniture. So far almost everything has been far more expensive than I can imagine myself paying in the US.Clothes especially - poly-wool blend pants simply shouldn't cost $350, no matter how "sexy the pocket style" is (according to the sales woman).
I walked back to the hotel and came across the old Jewish cemetery. I took a moment to linger reading the headstones and marveling at the young ages of many of the deceased. The stones had obviously seen better days, and the place looked like it needed some tender loving care. If noting more than planting some bulbs in what now is a muddy patch of grass, and maybe taking to the lichen which semi-obscures some of the names with a scrubbing brush.
Shower and change at the hotel, then a stop here in the cheapest net cafe I have yet found (1 hour = $2), update you all, do some online bill payment, and then off to a quick sashimi dinner before the theatre tonight. Fun!
Next entry will likely be from my parents place in New Plymouth. See you then.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home