Tuesday, October 09, 2007

"T" Minus 8 Hours

So here I am in count-down mode. The bags are more-or-less packed, the Passport and endless sheets of confirmation papers all tucked safe-and-sound in my carry-on. Clothes are laid out, and I worked my last shift before leaving. B'ruch Ha'Shem it was a very short and an easy on-call shift.
I couldn't sleep (of course) last night, and this morning if it weren't for multiple loads of laundry I am quite sure I'd be pulling my hair out (what there is of it). It is quite an anxiety ridden idea to me to be home, and to be home for all this time. Six weeks is a long time to be free of work and commitments, and a long time to be okay with that.
I have sent many e-mails titled "Homeward Bound" to many different friends/family/folks in New Zealand. I am seeking them out where ever I can, and wanting to make plans with as many as possible. I have plans on my own for Friday and Saturday in Auckland, as well as some that have fallen through. I am going to see what comes up and look at not having things planned "to the last minute" as being an adventure in itself. Escape the rigidity I so often place upon myself.
I am looking forward to time exploring Auckland, beyond Queen Street. I have spent next-to-no time there as an adult, and have next-to no idea what life there is actually like. I want to get a taste for the place, and aim to find cafes, eateries, as well as quiet spots to take a walk, read a book, and enjoy the views.
I never travel well. I am usually far too caught up in the "okay, let's get going" mode to enjoy the journey itself. I am trying to remain calm, but it is all a bit much, if you ask me.The added re-introduction to family after a near-on two year absence is always one I find difficult. We often say in my family that we pick up where we left off, which while a true statement of our love for each other I would like this re-introduction to fold in more of who I am now as a forty-year old man.
My parents while not elderly, are getting older. They are no longer the couple struggling with a full house of children, they too have grown into new people. I want to meet them on an adult level, and introduce a new and different me - just as I want to meet a new and different them.
I'll keep you up to date...until then, travel safe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home