Monday, September 24, 2007

Sukkot is a Commin'


I love Sukkot - I love the sukkah, I love the lulav, I love the building of, the decorating of and the dwelling in [the Sukkah]. Sadly I don't get too many opportunities for the latter. I'm not sure if it is the boy or the man who loves it more. It fills me with a sense of wonder that is refreshing and reviving after the "hard yakka" of Yom Kippur. Star gazing and laughing with friends - all good stuff in my eyes.
I imagine what it must have been like to journey from the coastal plains up to Yerushalayim for the festival as a nation. It must have been something amazing to see, and something amazing to participate in. To stand in the temple compound as a nation, as a people, as an act of devotion. I imagine it to look not unlike images of the Haj.
I remember the evenings on my kibbutz (Beit Ha'Shitah) during Sukkot. The sounds of families and their guests eating and laughing together. I remember the warm breezes that blew up from the valley below, and the slight chill reminding us that winter was on it's way.
May we all find new meaning and peace in our lives in the Sukkot this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home