Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Sleep Over Fun...or not

I co-hosted a sleep over last night. No, not the "barrels of laughs" kind with screaming, giggling and hot chocolate, and not the moaning, groaning kind which involves latex, either. One of the joys of my new job is taking call. I was on call last night and so had the pleasure of working what ended up being a 19 hour shift. Eleven AM thru until 06:30 AM
The house is completely full, and - for reasons that escape me - the kids needing to be admitted post-op didn't adjust appropriately. So my co-worker Ging and I had the pleasure of hosting Efren, Johnnie, Mercedes, and Aaron (plus some of their parents) in the PACU until the day shift came in at 06:30 AM. It wasn't hard work per se. Despite taking a 90 minute nap I still felt nasty.
By the time the doors did swing open with the entry of the pre-op team I felt absolutely shattered. I am delighted to say that I have rather vague recollections of the drive home this morning. I dropped off the Rosh Ha'Shanah dry cleaning, and was home, showered, and snoring by 08:00 AM.
Sadly the productive (non-sleep) activities I had planned for today went by-the-by. There was no way I was even seriously contemplating driving back in for my IRB meeting at 11:30, and I didn't get to put in any research desk time.
I woke at about noon, and then made myself get up at 1:00 PM. I have read the mail, done some grocery shopping (forgetting the most "pressing" need - toilet paper), and now aim to watch "Elizabeth" (again) before I head to a meeting at Schule at 7:00 PM.
Boy is way-the-heck-over-there in Auckland. I'm as jealous as hell. But what ya gonna do?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home