Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Transition Continues...

When I left my research job, way back in September of 2005, I was not replaced. The group felt that there were other priorities, and I was also willing to continue covering my workload on a "per diem" basis. It worked well; I was able to still consider myself a "Research Nurse" and work with a group of people I genuinely admire, just not on a full time basis.
All I have really done is maintain the workload I held. I haven't opened any new studies, and I haven't been "hands on" at all. Essentially it has been an administrative role.
As the years have passed, and I have made multiple moves to re-align my work life - and my personal life for that matter - I have maintained my research role as there simply hasn't been anyone to assume coverage of my workload. I have wanted to release myself from this commitment for some time - and in particular since I transferred to PACU.
I am going on a long awaited trip to New Zealand in October. My beloved country calls to me in my dreams, and it is time I paid her a visit. My much-loved sister Lee-Ann is to wed the delightfully smart, and good looking Aaron and there ain't no way I am gonna miss that! I'll be gone just shy of 2 months!
So, this is, I believe the perfect time to extricate myself from research; as someone will provide coverage in my prolonged absence anyway, right? Sadly, this is not at all as easy as it might sound.
Administrative and supervisory pots are being stirred and rapidly warmed over the coals of dissatisfaction and over-stressed workloads. It is all going to get mightily messy I fear.
The worst part is that it is likely to all fall on the one person I really like/love/admire the most; the one who essentially taught me the ropes. Buggar it!
So, now I am scheduled to transition my workload on the day before I fly out...ain't that just grand?
I'll keep you posted. I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home