Monday, October 29, 2007

Falling off the Edge of the Planet


Well, not quite...but, yes, it has been a while since I have put finger-tips to keyboard. It always seems like there is something else to do, or no convenient Internet location. I am leaning towards it being better to experience while I can, and record when there isn't much else to do/distract me.
But today, as I am prone to arriving way too early at the airport for any travel opportunity, I find I am sat at Wellington Airport - en route to Sydney - with time on my hands. Yay!

My last entry was from Invercargill. The winds were whipping in from the southern oceans, and I was enjoying a quiet day with the heater and Diva my sister and brother-in-law-to-be's dog. The next day I moved on to visit with my mate Greg and his wife Carolyn. Greg is a Pharmacist and we met while we were both fresh-out-of-school in our new professions at Wellington Hospital some 18 years back. We had also met up in London while on our O.E., and so have many hangover-inducing nights to reminisce on. He is a great guy.

After deciding that driving in 140km/h winds for 8 hours was unwise I flew up to Christchurch http://www.christchurch.org.nz/ and was met at the airport by Greg and his new son, Christian. A bright snowy-blond, bluer-than-blue eyed bouncing bundle of 5 month-old joy. Such a sweet baby.

We picked Carolyn up, and then continued on to their "batch" in the resort town of Hamner Springs http://www.hanmersprings.co.nz/, which is snuggled into the rolling Canterbury hill country. There are - strangely enough - hot springs in Hamner which makes it a nice place to eat, drink and soak. Which we did. It was a great time, and I very much enjoyed catching up, and relaxing with them as new parents.

Back to Christchurch the next afternoon which included an evening out "on the town". Memories of hangovers past were refreshed the next day, sadly.

The next morning I spent looking around the thriving arts district in the heart of the city, including seeing an amazing photography exhibit at the new art gallery by Ans Westra http://www.christchurchartgallery.org.nz/. It is absolutely brilliant stuff - images that recorded a very unique view of New Zealand life, and one that I identify with very strongly. I found my eyes misty on a number of occasions, and I broke down and had to buy the catalogue. Oh well.
On to Wellington on Friday afternoon, and time in my old stomping grounds. But I'll save that for my next installment...
Ka Kite...




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home