Friday, April 13, 2007

Taking it Slow

I'm kind of stuffed up today. We have had a lot of wind the last few days and so I am having some kind of allergy flare-up, I guess. I elected to take the day off to get myself in order, and the prospect of a dripping nose, sniffling, etc. at work was one that just didn't appeal.
The boy has headed off to CT and DC for the weekend. A retreat at the Isabella Friedman Institute in the middle of CT, which has was very delayed in getting to thanks to airline delays, etc. So I was a tad worried when I got a call from the center at 24:00 their time, wondering if I had heard from him. Of course he didn't have cell reception out there in the boonies, and the weather had been rotten evidently, to which I added some twisted "Deliverance" scenario, and scared myself shitless. Of course he is fine, and arrived at about 01:00 their time. Poor lad.
So I have spent the day catching up on a number of things I have been letting slide. Re-caulked the kitchen sink, replaced the shower curtain liner (eww), bought a new shower caddy, and shower non-slip mat thingi. Wrote-up meeting minutes, fired off numerous e-mails, grocery shopped, et al.
I've been loosely following the Imus case. He got the can yesterday, and I have to say I'm glad. Not that I am glad that this man is now unemployed, but that - at least in this case - someone is doing the right thing and standing up against uncivilized behaviour/speech.
I'm not sure when America lost it's sense of civility, but I think it has become far too much the norm. I think I have noticed a spike since September 11th. Americans now believe that they can say what they want, regardless of how rude, hurtful, or uncivil it is. Shows like "Idol" have now come to glorify those who put others down, and it has crossed to the other side of the screen all the more so.
I don't believe that America "deserved" the terrorist attacks, but it sure deserves a "time out" now. Enough of this victim mentality, time to stand up and look at what you have become. Don't blame your President, Elected Officials and leaders (but of course they too are some of the biggest culprits), we are responsible for the way we behave in the world, and cannot complain about the consequences unless we take action ourselves. There is just so much hate out there, and that does something to the heart of a people, something fatal.
Shabbat is about to descend on Los Angeles. I'm looking forward to some peace and quiet, some reflection and contemplation, some calm and stillness. May we all find a little of what we really need this Shabbat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home