Thursday, March 08, 2007

How was your day?

Generally speaking, it was a good day. To be completely honest, it was kind of boring, and I admit I wished that I was instead working somewhere more intellectually stimulating. A place where people talked about their ideas. Instead of "American Idol", "Grey's" and "Lost".
I feel like I am drowning in a land of poor quality TV addicts. I never realized the sway television could have. We ditched the gobble-box about a year ago and I am so reminded that we did the right thing.
They watch such tripe. As a result, I get to suffer through a 12 hour day which usually commences with the eagerly asked queries; "did you see It?" I then get to hear all about the shows from their perspective. Tho it can be fun trying to deduce the story line from their conversation, without asking questions. For the most part, it is drivel.
Don't get me wrong; I enjoy my co-workers very much, they are a grand bunch of gals. Each of them has a heart that glints gold for all to see in the artificially lit halls where we ply our trade. I see incredible acts of compassion, and amazing courage. They daily guide people through the minefield of therapeutic choices.
I just wish they were a tad more interesting.
Another wish is that we were less joined at the hip to our computers on wheels - our "Cows".
I shit you not! That's what they are called.
I found out early on that I work in a community where cute acronyms can - and frequently do - rule the day. We eat them up like they are sugar covered nuts, or something. Which,as it happens, we are also apt to be doing.
I have been craving a change of scene. Just a slight diversion into the realm of a guiding thought, not the resultant action. A place where I can get into the why of it all, instead of the trivia of the world that swirls around us, oblivious to our existence.
I was paid a lovely compliment by a colleague, however. I had an educational conversation with a client couple recently, and - I was told - the way I had provided the information I had to impart, was of comfort and value to the couple I spoke to.
I now feel really good about the hour we spent together huddled at a computer screen, reviewing a PowerPoint. Gently, yet firmly, taking their hand and beginning the journey out of the initial shock of their child's diagnosis, and into the unfolding reality of what this now means to their family.
Good to know they heard me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home