Monday, April 09, 2007

Next Year, in Jerusalem...

Today has been the last day of Pesach. Seven days ago we escaped from the grasp of Pharaoh, and literally ran away into the desert of eastern Mitzrayim. Then today, we had our most amazing interaction with the Holy One.
We stood, trembling, terrified, at the lapping-edge of the sea of reeds. Thundering in our ears was the roar of hooves, and the scream of horses in the hot sun, as they were whipped on across the sand toward us.
As we stood there, sure that we were dead, a great and awesome thing happened. The waters parted, and we were allowed to pass through to the other bank. They pursued us, gaining, ever closer. Then the water closed upon them, and swallowed them up. Right in the sight of our very eyes.
Once the disbelief, and the anticipation of doom subsided, our hearts were full of praise, and we sang this song;
Shi'ru la'donai - I will sing to Adonai.
for Adonai has triumphed, yes, triumphed,
the horse and it's charioteer Adonai has flung into the sea!
My fierce-might and strength is Yah,
G-d has become deliverance for me.
This is my G-d, and I will honor Adonai,
the G-d of my father - I exalt Adonai.
I have been thinking about how that must have been today. To see such a thing, to come out with Moshe, Aaron, Miriam, and the children of Yis'ra'el.
That happened today, on the seventh day of Pesach, and it has been sealed on our hearts and minds ever since.
Today we observed Yiskor. It was a sunny morning in the sanctuary, and the light streamed in dappling the floor with shadows of the grill work that adorns the eastern wall window. We shared our grieves, somewhat, and for the first time I felt able to mourn my cousin, Nicci.
It was a good feeling to start the day with a group in prayer, something I realize I get great value from.
The sun is now setting in the west. Although I cannot see it from here, it is about to dip into the ocean, leading us another day closer to Sinai, and the consummation of our engagement with Holiness. Torah as our Ketubah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home