Friday, November 07, 2008

Still Trying to Make Sense of it All...

As the days have passed since the election results I have been going through an up-and-down of emotions. It is incredible to watch President-Elect Obama on CNN taking questions with eloquence, calm and good humour.
Yet, I find myself disillusioned over the passing, and official verification of California's Proposition 8. I have attended rallies, screamed my distress, and hugged crying friends. Most of all, it hurts my sense of Justice. I thought Californians were better than this.
Today I received an e-mail which soothed my soul somewhat, and gave me a Jewish perspective from which to plot my recovery in the days ahead. This e-mail was sent out by the good people over at the Pacific Southwest Regional Council of the Union for Reform Judaism, Rabbis Alan Henkin and Linda Bertenthal. It was just what I was needing, and I hope it helps you, too.

Two Prayers for Strength After the Passage of Proposition 8 for Shabbat Lech Lecha:
Take Courage
(Based on Haftarah Lech-Lecha - Isaiah 40:27-41:16)

Why do you say, O Jacob,
Why declare, O Israel,
"My way is hid from the Eternal,
My cause is ignored by my God?"

Help us remember that our cause is Yours -
the cause of justice and equality for all.
Our way is to embrace all of Your creation,
To honor and include all Your children.

Do you not know? Have you not heard?
The Eternal is God from of old,
Creator of the earth from end to end,
God never grows faint or weary,
God's wisdom cannot be fathomed.

Let us honor God's creation from end to end,
And resist those who disparage God's children.
Do you not know that we are all created in God's image?
Male and female, gay and straight
God's wisdom cannot be challenged - God does not create in vain.

God gives strength to the weary, fresh vigor to the spent;
Youths may grow faint and weary, and young men stumble and fall,
But they that trust in the Eternal shall renew their strength
As eagles grow new plumes:
They shall run and not grow weary; they shall march and not grow faint.

We have already begun to march; we will march on and never grow faint.
We have run one race and nearly won; we will run again and never grow weary.
We will march and run together and we shall never fall -
Never fall victim to despair, never fall into the trap of returning hate with hate.
God give us strength!

Each one helps the other,
Saying to his fellow, "Take courage!"
The woodworker encourages the smith;
He who flattens with the hammer
Encourages him who pounds the anvil.

Let us each help one another,
Saying to our fellow seeker of justice, "Take courage!"
The straight woman encourages the lesbian - "I am with you"
The gay man encourages the straight - "We have seen this hate before
And we are not afraid."

"I chose you; I have not rejected you -
Fear not, for I am with you.
Be not frightened, for I am your God;
I strengthen you and I help you,
I uphold you with My victorious right hand."

God of justice, strengthen us
as justice, justice we pursue.
Let us not be frightened nor despair,
Cause us to strengthen one another
Until justice is ours and victory is Yours.



Lech Lecha
Based on Genesis 12:1

Lech lecha – let us go forth
Go forth to pursue justice
Justice delayed is justice denied
Help us go forth today!

Lech lecha - go into yourself
Find the place of strength within
Hopes crushed, let us not despair
Equality shattered, let us not quail
Help us find within the dedication,
the determination, the fortitude
to go forth to pursue justice.

Lech lecha – go for yourself
for your own equality,
for your own integrity,
for your own spark of divinity,
for your own longing for justice.
Inspire us, Eternal,
To see our own blessing
from being a blessing
by going forth.

Lecha lecha – go forth
And we will go forth together
Be strong and we will be strengthened
Pursue justice and let us pursue it,
Until justice rolls down like water
And righteousness like a mighty stream.

Eternal, our God, empower us to go forth!
Shabbat Shalom Everyone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home