Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Bitter Sweet

Yesterday and on into last night I saw the unimaginable happen. America has redefined itself, and taken a huge step towards reclaiming it's self respect and dignity. It has refused to squander it's potential on the fear and disillusionment of the previous eight years. It has said it can, and will, do better. The mere fact that it has made a hopeful choice is, in my opinion, one that takes great courage.
Obama has inspired people to exercise their vote in massive numbers, and in a decisive and awe inspiring way. I congratulate the American people for making a brave and hopeful move.
But it isn't all roses. Here in California the Proposition that will lead to an Amendment of the Californian Constitution to remove marriage rights from Gay and Lesbian Californians has passed, albeit by a relatively small margin (the L.A.Times reports 52% "Yes" to "48%" no, with 95% or precincts reporting their results).
I woke this morning with a great heaviness, and I still struggle to understand how this has happened. I understand all too well the traditional definition of marriage stands on a Bible-based definition, but I had thought that people could see that there are times when we have to put our history to the side. After all, the Bible also sanctions slavery, the subjugation of women, and the punishment - by death - of wayward children.
The Christian (okay, and some Jews) Right have hijacked the separation of Church and State, and done so by using fear and mistrust to their advantage.
I'm not sure what to think about them. How is this the actions of people of faith?
Yesterday I was more than a little sad that my not having U.S. citizenship had meant I was unable to participate in the election, and be part of bringing in a new era of American politics. Today, I am not so sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home