Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I went on a bit of an adventure yesterday. Being the nature-boy that I am, I ventured off to find a new watering hole in the desert.

Deep Creek is outside of Victorville, of all places. It was about an hour and a half drive to the turn off, and then a further 45 minutes on unpaved dirt road through a rather unforgiving landscape.

After being quite sure that I was completely lost a number of times, I came upon a shabby rustic cottage where I paid my parking fee and had a chat about New Zealand, Hollywood movies, and “The World’s Fastest Indian” – which the bare-chested, long-haired host and his blonde female companion had just seen, and very much enjoyed.

I parked beside the campsites, and then strapped on my sneakers (note to self – next time wear boots), and headed off down the narrow dirt track to the river. The trail hugs the side of a reasonably sheer cliff, which cuts away to the river below. There are numerous trees and grasses growing beside the river, making it quite an idyllic scene.

Once I made the descent I found myself beside the river at the portion nearest the hot springs. Three or four pools spill into each other from a rocky outcrop. The water was just a tad too warm for me after the hike down, so I made my way upstream to find a secluded spot to stretch out in.

The water is quite deep, and the river is a great temperature. Small fish (trout?) teem in the waters, and were very intent to nibble on me in great numbers. Initially I found it a tad disconcerting, but it soon became quite a pleasant sensation.

So I soaked in the river while the small fish nibbled all the loose skin/hair from my body they could. I felt a little like some kind of aquatic buffet.

A few other people meandered by – to splash around, soak in some rays, make small talk under the beating desert sun.

At 15:00 the alarm on my cell phone reminded me that it would be a much more strenuous trip back to the car than it had been on the way down, so I packed up, and after a dip in the big pool, I climbed out of the canyon and made my way back along the dusty trail to the car. From there the return along the dirt road. The dirt gives way to paving, and beyond to the freeway and home.

I returned home at about 19:00, tired, relaxed, and looking forward to a quiet night in front of some movie, or another.

“Moonstruck” was the choice of the evening, and a mightily enjoyed one too. Bliss.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home