Friday, June 09, 2006

Home again, home again...


Back from a week in DC with a dear friend. Boy was with me for the initial couple of days before heading to NYC for a two-week intensive program thru school. Oh the whole it was an enjoyable time to catch up and do some of the DC area sites.
Included a lovely hike alongside the C&O Canal which starts out in Georgetown, and takes a 200 or so mile meander alongside the Potomac River. The canal if teeming with life - we saw geese, ducks, a whole host of fish - including the spawning ritual of two rather delightful little fish, who shall remain nameless.
We three walked and talked about a whole lot of things and it was really nice to see the two of them getting to know one another better. She and her love will be getting married next summer, and so are in the anxious-ridden throws of finding a venue. Needless to say there was a lot of "I remember that" kind of stuff, and a host of other craziness that must only be the product of two women tying the knot, I guess.
I was able to get a better feel for life in DC than I had gained before. The warm spring air was filled with the scent of flowers and trees waved their emerald green leaves at every glance. I gained a much better appreciation for inner city dwelling - watching men and women in suits carrying groceries home with their laptop bags slung over their shoulders. Ties loosened after a days work, making their way home thru the tree lined streets.
The boy and I saw the Native American Museum, which was spectacular in it's form and execution, and the National Holocaust Museum which was packed with high school groups on their trip to see the nations capital et al.
I was also able to view the Phillips Collection, including it's Renoir (above). I spent quite a lot of time looking at the painting. I did a "gay viewing" of the piece, and decided that there is something going on with the two men in short sleeves and straw hats.
The older, with his glorious red beard and hair seems to be quite interested in the man on the far side of the patio in the top hat and suit. Perhaps he knows him, has seen him before, or, as I suspect, is checking him out. The younger man, the "boy" of the elder I think, is quite interested in the attention that is being paid to the formally dressed man across the bar. Jealousy rearing her head?

I particularly love the way in which the points of the awning flutter in the warm breeze.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home