Wednesday, November 16, 2005

The global waiting room

It was an interesting experience. Sitting in the chair with the rolled steel frame, and plastic covered seat, in a room filled with the nations of the world bristling at each other. My greencard is expiring, and so now I must be recorded electronically for the Department of Homeland Security, so that they can issue me a new inside-and-out card. Lights, whistles, and all.

Languages all over the room. Hebrew, Spanish, Farsi, and Armenian (maybe?). Plus a couple of British-accented English voices to test my locale-o-meter.

Finger printed electronically, using amazing technology. Each finger tip individually, and then two sets of the four fingers together to record a hand print as well. It was strange as I stood there, my hand in that of a female stranger, as she rolled each of my fingers over a camera lens capturing an image, and therefore a unique template of my identifying markings.

Then I got the option of re-shooting my face photo. How strange - I really don't care what I look like in those things. It looked enough like me so that a positive identification could be made at a immigration booth. I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home