Monday, August 01, 2005

Parting is but sweet sorrow

Well, my friend went away. I miss her terribly.

Friday, I did something I had sworn I wouldn't do again and went to her schule with her. It used to be mine too, once long ago. Well, sort of. A lifetime it feels, and being there again reminded me that it really was never "my" schule, either. Just not my kind of Judaism. Flat, joyless, wrapped in sadness and pain.

But I went, because I realized that it was going to be a while before we would daven together again.

Afterwards we went out with another friend for a drink - okay, so not exactly shomer, but what the heck. I walked from my house, does that count?

The Abbey was packed with people - all kinda of people. Amazing, pure theater. There is an area that is slightly raised in the "great hall' and so we stood watching - not unlike gentry in the viewing stand. So fun. Chatting in Hebrew together (no, nothing bitchy, it was shabbat after all).

Then home to bed.

I house sat in Brentwood this weekend, so over to walk the dog and marvel at how big some peoples homes are. What a waste of resources. Then across to Glendale for the farewell soiree.

For those who know LA - Brentwood to Glendale is no mean feat. With pitstops in West Hollywood to get changed, buy food, etc.

A lovely evening in the backyard at Maggie and Dave's house. Lots of interesting people, tho it was a little segregated (rocket scientists over there, Jews over here, Israelis with small children in the back).

A lovely havdalah circle in the starlight, some dancing, some eating and some drinking.

Belying the fact that she is indeed leaving, and we will, indeed, miss her terribly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home