Tuesday, October 10, 2006

My Heart in my Hand

Sukkot is with us at the present. I have helped build a beautiful sukkah on the roof of my synagogue, and been part of planning quite a spectacular Shabbat morning worship in the sukkah, on the roof. The sukkah stands with it's back to the east, and the door invites us into the conduit of prayer to Jerusalem, and beyond.
The roof is thickly and deliberately dotted with colorful faux fruit, flowers, and twinkling tiny lights. In the center hangs a delightful chandelier, which gives the sukkah a sophisticated air. Brightly twisted and stapled paper chains gently blow in the breeze, and sing of the Fall, soon to be upon us.
The waving of the lulav, and the blessing of the etrog - in particular - are rituals that I have been able to meditate on, and of which to gain more understanding, this year. I have been taking the opportunity to stand, facing Jerusalem, offering blessings, and literally holding my heart in my hand, as I seek holiness.
The etrog - or citron - is an odd citrus fruit. Prized and delighted for is the shape, form and aesthetic is the etrog. Ours is a particularly delightful specimen, I have to say. It may not possess the "ideal" or "traditional" shape, but it is the most lovely thing. It gently falls from the stem - the Oketz - the point where is sprouted from the tree, and fills out before making a gently narrowing, to form an almost perfect Pitom.
The etrog, is seen as representing the heart of a man, the heart of a Jew. The various parts (the four species) of the lulav all represent a particular organ, with which to offer blessing. The willow the lips, the haddas the eyes, the palm spine, the spine of the human being. The Jew is asked to present the fruit to Holiness, and to make blessings in anticipation of re-commencing the annual journey of the Jewish people through the Torah, which will happen at Simhat Torah, on Friday/Saturday night (depends on how you decide to read the Luach).
"Here, Holiness, is my heart, newly examined, and purified by the acts of T'shuvah, T'filah, and Tzdekah. I stand with it in my hand, examining it again, and offering it to you. I commit it, along with the rest of my body, to your sacred purpose. May I be counted in the number of those who are called "Lovers of your Torah".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home