Saturday, August 26, 2006

It's the sake talking...

Just back from the sushi place across the street. I only really get to go when the boy is out of town, and so it is a rare treat.

I have started eating sashimi vs. Sushi - fewer carbs, and less bulk. This by no means indicates that I eat any less, and feel less stuff at the end of the meal (nor that the meal is any cheaper). But it is really very enjoyable. To an extent I feel I have graduated to the next level of sushi cuisine.
Tonight I enjoyed salmon, yellowtail (which really was spectacular), Spanish mackerel (including the deep-fried head and skeleton, which were delightfully tasty), and toro sashimi for the first time. Washed down with a large sake, and numerous slurps of a tall glass of water.
It is almost as much fun watching the other customers. But the number one draw is watching the sushi chef as he slices, wraps, strips and scales the fish he prepares for us.
There is such grace in the manner in which he prepares the food. It is really quite the experience to watch, I must say.
Tomorrow off to work, bright and early, so I must make sure I flush the sake out of my system...
Boy is now done with camp, and is heading into the city to kick his heals up a bit with a boys booze cruise on Puget Sound - how fun! Home on Monday - can't wait to have him back on the other side of the bed where he belongs.
It will be our first anniversary on Labor Day - time to thaw out the brick of cake in the freezer!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home