Monday, August 22, 2005

Shalom l'chem

Okay, so maybe I only catch every other word, and maybe by the time I catch that second word they are on to the next subject...But I like listening to Israeli radio...

Galgalatz, Radio Tel Aviv (102 FM), and RadiYo (Elat) once in a while.

Of course being 10 hrs behind it is pretty much always the evening hours with that smooth-voiced lady on Galgalatz that tries to put me to sleep with her silky "Shabbat shalom l'chem" as she spins mellow sleepy tunes to slumbering soldiers.

Takes me back to the Kibbutz - well, sorta.


With the disengagement in smooth - and yet incredibly painful - progress, listening at least gives me the illusion of being connected. The Gaza is pretty much empty, the demolitions have started, and now it is on to the 4 settlements in the West Bank to contend with. All very abstract for me, never having really been to the West Bank (except the bus that runs - ran - from Bet She'an to Yerusalem via Yericho a couple of times), and never having been south of Tel Aviv on the coast.

It is all very strange. The only person that I really share emotion with over it all is Merav. We have very similar feelings on most things Israeli. Definitely left wingers, but with hearts that can feel any political direction - especially with the photos of crying soldiers and settlers wetting each other.

I just hope that the country is able to heal. I downloaded a bumper sticker that says "Just as long as we don't separate from each other" - sums it up for me.

Laila tov achim'li.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home