Wednesday, September 28, 2005

There's an old lady up ahead

She is frail, gray, and using a walker. With a hunched, crooked back.
A younger woman - obviously a hired person, standing with her, they are waiting for a car. They stand quietly, each in their own corner of the globe.

Perhaps the older woman remembers her youth, when she would have skipped to the car, in a pretty cotton dress, her hair braided and tied with matching ribbons. The sun would have been kept off her face by a straw hat, with a ribbon wrapped around it the to match the dress, and the hair ribbons.

Perhaps the younger woman remembers her daughter, who skips across the playground. Wearing the same cotton dress, sent by her mother, who works far away, and sends her packages of clothes, instead of tucking her in at night.

By the time I found my car, put the new glasses carefully on the floor of the back seat of my 10 year old Honda, safe in their utilitarian paper wrapping, and stacked efficiently in the white Crate and Barrel bag by a man called "Bill" - who remarked to me that he was able to wrap faster in his youth - and driven the circle which was my exit route, they were there.

The car had pulled up, and the younger woman was being assisted into the car. My escape was blocked, and I watched the three - for the first two women were joined by a third (the driver) - gently maneuvering the elder inch-by-inch.

It was an interesting scene from the human drama - today I was intent on watching it.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home