Thursday, May 24, 2007

"Change is Good", I am told...

So I am thinking it was about time I had a change, took a break from heart-break, and put in some serious re-invention effort. I realize acutely now that if I am going to have a happier life I have to take opportunities when they avail themselves of me.
Not unlike the man who drowns in a great flood and complains to to the Holy One as to why he was not rescued by the divine hand. Divinity, rightly enough, asks the man what he was waiting for? That indeed he had been sent a man, a truck, a boat, and then finally a helicopter.
"How direct do I have to be?" asks G-d in the end.
There isn't any point dragging my ass and waiting for the helicopter. So I took myself for a tour of the post-anesthesia care unit, better known as the Recovery Room. They are a nice bunch of folks, with a manager who seems proactive, supportive, and caring.
I was so impressed that I then took advantage of her offer to spend a couple of hours with one of her staff on a regular morning, to get an idea for the place. Again, a very positive and interesting situation was presented to me.
So now I am working out my last 4 weeks in Oncology, and will soon be a new orientee on the team in the P.A.C.U. I am somewhat anxious about being the new kid, being "stupid", and feeling like a complete idiot. But at the same time I'll be learning a new skill set, re-thinking my self concept, and re-formulating my care delivery, and hopefully allowing myself the greatest gift - that of re-inventing my Nursing self.
I haven't done that in a really long time.
I've ordered a textbook from Amazon, and broken the news to the Oncology team. People have said some really lovely things. They are a great bunch of people, but I need to be a different animal. I'll miss the shared connection, and I am quite sure that I will have some interesting experiences being less connected to the people I give care to.
The best reaction was from my friend Annie. She and I have known each other well for the past seven years. She is probably the colleague I admire the most. She is one smart cookie.
"I think you should do it" she exclaimed when I told her I had been thinking about the transfer, "change is good, I always say" she went on. "Just do it"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home